**Week 13: Teacher Interview

I’m looking to design teacher resources that help the process of planning coursework. I want to improve student engagement by helping teachers provide more diverse and effectively planned coursework.

Context Questions:
How long have you been teaching? 2 years

Details on school + level + courses teaching? High school visual design teacher, personal interest in level 1 (year 11)

Does your school teach with NCEA? Yes, decile 2 school, so more funding and smaller classes, but much much harder students to work with.

Are you aware of the current situation with the NCEA review? What’re you’re your experiences and opinions working with this system, are there any changes you believe need to be made? 

What’s the process when it comes to teacher resources- are they provided by the school, or do you have to source them yourself (is there freedom) (is there support) Curriculum requirements are given with NCEA, however creative freedom for how you want to teach, and what you teach to meet those standards. Most of the resources came from the HOD at the school, personal resources that teacher has made... So not many resources are provided.

Are there any specific resources you’re given that you think could use a redesign? Or any recommendations for a starting point were I to design my own. (The biggest problem I’ve had so far is finding content, there’s so much out there it’s easy to get lost so to speak.) See above.

Can you see any flaws or opportunities in my project from what I’ve told you? (Am I assuming or missing something) Scope of the problem, either choose a more specific area or look more into the systems.

Would you be interested in potentially helping me work through my ideas as I prototype? Follow up.

So far most of my research has come from articles, reports and studies, but I’d really love to actually experience what it’s like for teachers when they’re designing their classes. Do you have any professional development days coming up, and is there any chance I could come along for a little bit to see how it all works and chat to some of the teachers? I’d be happy to sign any confidentiality paperwork the school requires. We have PD sessions every Wednesday, but sometimes nothing really happens, will look into it and get back to you.

Do you have any networks or connections you could link me up to further this project? Potentially the SENCO, but she's a very busy lady, she might not be able to.

 Personal questions: 

Recommendations for S2 of VCD? Don't stress the outcome so much

What was your project on? not relevant.

Pathway into teaching? Realised a dislike for the industry, loved the teaching aspect within it though, which lead to design teaching. Go for it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8: Understanding Engagement

Week 9: Feedback 'Speed Dating' Session